Wednesday 11 June 2014

Tool To Determine Your Personality Type By Analyzing Your Facebook Posts

We know that we are watched online, our feelings scanned by Google and Facebook to figure out what to sell us next. Now we can get a feel for what that looks like, thanks to a linguistic analysis tool released by a start-up, Five.

Five Labs analyzes the language in which we write, and determines our relative affiliation to five personality attributes: openness, extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness and neuroticism.

Based on the initial responses to the site on Twitter, “people seem to identify pretty strongly with the personalities we generate,” said Nikita Bier, the co-founder of Five, which is working on a product for online conversations that will use similar technology. “Only about 10 percent said we were outright wrong about them.”


Part of that may be the overall vagueness of the typing, which can provoke the same kind of identification people feel for the most general newspaper horoscopes.
Mr. Bier said the point of the exercise is not precision, but to give people a sense of what social media companies are doing with us, probably with much greater sophistication.
“The predictive qualities of the five types are good for advertising,” he said. “People who are more open go to coffee shops, and have interesting apartments. You might want to give them an ad for Ikea. Neurotic people worry about their health, so you might pitch them vitamins.”
Let's see. I guess I cover all the five traits fine enough, although I never thought of myself as a very open or extraverted person; maybe online I am.
Then, you may also check the personality traits of famous people such as Mark Zuckerburg's below,
You also have the option to compare yourself to them. For instance, as it turns out, I'm actually 70% similar to Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer.
Then again I was disheartened when they analysed that I'm merely 24% similar to Mahatma Gandhi as I strongly believe in all his ideals.
You can also check the personalities of everyone in your facebook friend list, and here as well, compare them with yourself. Apparently, I'm not that similar to my best friend as I thought.

You can also compare your friends with each other. Quite a few options, right?

Go ahead. Give it a try and let us know how accurate it was for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment