Saturday 14 June 2014

Classic Pixel Art In MS Paint By 99 Year Old













Hal Lasko, better known as Grandpa, worked as a typographer back when everything was done by hand. His family introduced him to the computer and Microsoft Paint long after he retired.
Now, Grandpa spends ten hours a day moving pixels around his computer paintings. His work is a blend of pointillism and 8-Bit art.

Meet 99-year-old Hal Lasko, The Pixel Painter. 

This film on Hal was screened at Cleveland International Film Festival and Imagine Science Films Festival and has also won the People's Choice Award at Imagine Science Film Festival.

Originally a traditional painter, Hal switched to MS Paint full-time when his vision was impaired by wet macular degeneration, an eye disease that causes blindness in the center of the vision. 

“He’ll talk to anyone for hours about his artwork,” says his son Ron. “It’s his passion. He loves to chat, and it takes nothing to get him going.”


"On my 85th birthday, the family presented me with my computer
," Lasko said. "I didn't even know how to turn one on."

“When I lost my eye-sight, I wasn’t able to get the brush quite where I wanted it,” says Lasko. “So when I got into the art program on the computer, I appreciated that I could magnify it enough to be sure that I was hitting the right spot.”

Lasko says he draws inspiration from impressionism, and that his artistic influences include Edward Hopper and Paul Klee. Many of Lasko's paintings feature trees. He mentions how the poem Trees had this influence on him since 3rd grade. He recites the poem,

"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain... "

Ending it with an additional line,

"Poems are made by fools like me, 

 I always say, paintings are made by fools like me,
 But only God can make a tree"


While he initially didn’t realize that his digital paintings could be printed, he now has a website selling prints of six different works, launched by his grandson, Ryan Lasko.

Following is one of the remarkable works by Lakso.
Image: “Looking Up” by Hal Lasko

Microsoft, the company whose software enabled Lasko to continue his artistic career, acknowledged him by featuring his work in its Super Bowl commercial.


Pursuing his passion with such dedication at this age, Hal Lasko is an inspiration to all of us.
You can connect with the amazing artist at this Facebook Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment